Monday, June 27, 2011

Burnt Bacon

RB does not cook...for the most part. If he can make it in the microwave then he might cook it right. The most recent adventure RB & I had involved bacon. I love bacon! I asked RB to cook some bacon and he went at it.

RB went to the kitchen and found a pot to cook the bacon in. He put the bacon in the pot and returned to his computer. He claims it was only a minute or two, but his bacon burned. Wait, burned isn't the right word, it disintegrated. The smoke began to rise upstairs and spread throughout the house. We could have rented the house out for a party stating there was a built in smoke machine. It became hard to breathe or even see through the smoke clouds. We proceeded to open the back door & windows and turn the fans on. The end result was a horribly disgusting stench. The smell lingered for days! You could smell it before you even entered the house.

RB decided he wanted to give bacon another try. When I came downstairs to check on him he told me he messed up again. My first thought was "Ugh, we're not going to ever have bacon!" I asked how and he said the bacon was stuck to the pot. RB told me he forgot to add vegetable oil. Uhhh, oil for bacon!? His first few pieces in the oil were already burning.

I told him that you don't need to add oil to bacon, it will make it's own grease. Next, I turned the burner down. The grease was popping pretty high and RB put on sunglasses to protect his eyes! In the beginning, he got distracted and didn't turn the bacon soon enough and it would burn.

I am proud to say that he successfully cooked the rest of the bacon. Of course I remained close by to supervise the bacon making. We enjoyed delicious bacon for two days. These kitchen adventures are becoming highly entertaining. He teaches me, I teach him.

No comments:

Post a Comment